St. Gregory The Great Catholic School
“…And St. Ann’s begot St. Mary Magdalen’s…..and St. Mary Magdalen’s begot St. Gregory the Great…”
Thus reads the history of the Catholic community growth as it parallels San Antonio’s expansion to the north and northwest horizons. Crowded conditions at Mass and in the classroom at St. Mary Magdalen’s brought about the selection of Father Michael J. Holden, to serve with Msgr. John L. Morkovosky, to accept the spiritual and financial responsibility of St. Gregory the Great. He was elevated to the title of Monsignor in 1959.
After much hard and dedicated work by the 635 families in the new Parish, the Church and school were dedicated on June 12, 1955. There was much work to be done and it was accomplished by many dedicated people. As organizations and ministries were formed, an athletic program was established, a choir was formed, landscaping was done, but most importantly, our school was established and staffed by the Presentation Sisters as they carried out the work of their foundress, Nano Nagle. First came Mother M. Magdalen, Mother M. John, and Mother M. Cecilia. Later they were joined by three more Sisters from Ireland—Mother M. Peter, Sister M. Stanislaus and Sister Angela.
In 1955, the six Sisters began teaching at St. Gregory the Great. Enrollment at St. Gregory the Great the first years was 465 children. Tuition was $3.50 per student, and $5.00 per month for families with two or more children attending school. Over the years the Pastors, Msgr. Michael J. Holden, Msgr. James Boyle, Msgr. Charles Grahmann, Msgr. Stanley Petru, Msgr. Michael O’Gorman, and currently Father Rudy Carrola have fully supported the need for Catholic education. St. Gregory the Great will be forever grateful for the dedication of the Presentation Sisters and the Pastors who have served the Church. Without God and these amazing individuals, St. Gregory the Great School would not have the GREAT name it has today!