Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

Saint Gregory the Great Catholic School

Main Navigation

Loading...

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

 

Principal Welcome Letter

Welcome to St. Gregory the Great Catholic School, founded in 1955.
At St. Gregory the Great, we understand that one of the most important decisions a
parent/guardian will make is which school will be the best fit for their child. We hope that
St. Gregory becomes your home and is a place where your child can thrive.
Our mission statement, “We, the faith community of St. Gregory the Great Catholic
School, in keeping with the Catholic tradition, nurture in our children and one another,
spiritual, personal and academic growth through prayer and Christ-like service,” guides
our curriculum, activities and interactions with one another. We firmly believe in meeting
your child where they are and our commitment is to nurture and develop every facet of
your child’s life.
We foster an environment that is centered on the development of each child according to
his/her spiritual growth and intellectual aptitude. As a Christian community, we take a
personal interest in each student’s emotional needs, physical needs and cultural
background. We partner with the family in the education and foundation of the whole child.
Each child is challenged academically and expectations are set high to help students
realize their gifts and talents. Our academic preparation of students continues to garner
successful recognition, as evidenced by the successes of our former students. We also
pride ourselves in building a foundation of being service minded; so that giving back to
the community is second nature.
St. Gregory the Great is fully accredited through the Texas Catholic Conference of
Bishops Education Department (TCCB ED) and recognized by the Texas Education
Agency (TEA).
We endeavor to partner with parents and/or guardians to shape future leaders and
contributors to society. In order to reinforce our partnering with parents, we believe that
“community” is the true essence of who we are. It takes a village, and together we can
accomplish so much. This community includes the Pastor and Principal, School Council,
PTC, Faculty and Staff, Parents/Guardians and Students in the overall goals and success
of the school.
Our dedicated staff invites you to visit our campus and “witness the difference” that a
Catholic education can make for your child(ren)!
Welcome to St. Gregory the Great, where we are “United in Spirit through Faith in God
and Academic Excellence.”

Ana Cortez
Principal

 

 

Our Patron Saint

 

Saint Gregory the Great

Saint of the Day for September 3

(c. 540 – March 12, 604)

Saint Gregory the Great’s Story

Gregory was the prefect of Rome before he was 30. After five years in office he resigned, founded six monasteries on his Sicilian estate and became a Benedictine monk in his own home at Rome.

Ordained a priest, he became one of the pope’s seven deacons, and also served six years in the East as papal representative in Constantinople. He was recalled to become abbot, and at the age of 50 was elected pope by the clergy and people of Rome.

He was direct and firm. He removed unworthy priests from office, forbade taking money for many services, emptied the papal treasury to ransom prisoners of the Lombards and to care for persecuted Jews and the victims of plague and famine. He was very concerned about the conversion of England, sending 40 monks from his own monastery. He is known for his reform of the liturgy, and for strengthening respect for doctrine. Whether he was largely responsible for the revision of “Gregorian” chant is disputed.

Gregory lived in a time of perpetual strife with invading Lombards and difficult relations with the East. When Rome itself was under attack, he interviewed the Lombard king.

An Anglican historian has written: “It is impossible to conceive what would have been the confusion, the lawlessness, the chaotic state of the Middle Ages without the medieval papacy; and of the medieval papacy, the real father is Gregory the Great.”

His book, Pastoral Care, on the duties and qualities of a bishop, was read for centuries after his death. He described bishops mainly as physicians whose main duties were preaching and the enforcement of discipline. In his own down-to-earth preaching, Gregory was skilled at applying the daily Gospel to the needs of his listeners. Called “the Great,” Gregory has been given a place with Augustine, Ambrose, and Jerome as one of the four key doctors of the Western Church.

Reflection

Gregory was content to be a monk, but he willingly served the Church in other ways when asked. He sacrificed his own preferences in many ways, especially when he was called to be Bishop of Rome. Once he was called to public service, Gregory gave his considerable energies completely to this work. Gregory’s description of bishops as physicians fits in well with Pope Francis’ description of the Church as a “field hospital.”

Saint Gregory the Gregory the Great is the Patron Saint of:

England
Epilepsy
Teachers

by Fr. Don Miller, OFM

 

School History

 

“…And St. Ann’s begot St. Mary Magdalen’s…..and St. Mary Magdalen’s begot St. Gregory the Great…”

 

 

Thus reads the history of the Catholic community growth as it parallels San Antonio’s expansion to the north and northwest horizons. Crowded conditions at Mass and in the classroom at St. Mary Magdalen’s brought about the selection of Father Michael J. Holden, to serve with Msgr. John L. Morkovosky, to accept the spiritual and financial responsibility of St. Gregory the Great. He was elevated to the title of Monsignor in 1959.

 

After much hard and dedicated work by the 635 families in the new Parish, the Church and school were dedicated on June 12, 1955. There was much work to be done and it was accomplished by many dedicated people. As organizations and ministries were formed, an athletic program was established, a choir was formed, landscaping was done, but most importantly, our school was established and staffed by the Presentation Sisters as they carried out the work of their foundress, Nano Nagle. First came Mother M. Magdalen, Mother M. John, and Mother M. Cecilia. Later they were joined by three more Sisters from Ireland—Mother M. Peter, Sister M. Stanislaus and Sister Angela.

In 1955, the six Sisters began teaching at St. Gregory the Great. Enrollment at St. Gregory the Great the first years was 465 children. Tuition was $3.50 per student, and $5.00 per month for families with two or more children attending school. Over the years the Pastors, Msgr. Michael J. Holden, Msgr. James Boyle, Msgr. Charles Grahmann, Msgr. Stanley Petru, Msgr. Michael O’Gorman, and currently Father Miguel Moreno have fully supported the need for Catholic education. St. Gregory the Great will be forever grateful for the dedication of the Presentation Sisters and the Pastors who have served the Church. Without God and these amazing individuals, St. Gregory the Great School would not have the GREAT name it has today!